How do I know if I need an occlusal guard? There are several signs and symptoms, but the most common are:
- If there is a grinding also known as bruxism and nocturnal or daytime dental clenching.
- If I have Abfractions (V-shaped fractures) it is a type of dental wear that causes the progressive loss of the structure of the teeth. They look like wedge-shaped indentations that cause visible bowing of the dental crown, which tapers toward the neck of the tooth. They are normally created on the molars and premolars.
- If there is a wear of the dental cusps.
- If there is dental sensitivity.
- If you have pain in the jaw when chewing and especially at dawn.